This guide lists selected sources for literary criticism of "The Rocking-Horse Winner " by D. H. Lawrence.
- Short Story Criticism, (Ref PN 3373 .S389) Volume(s):
- 4: 200-01, 206, 212, 221, 229-230, 233, 238
- 19: 250-291 (Essays reproduced in Literature Criticism Online database.)
- Masterplots II Short Story Series, (Ref PN 3326 .M27)
- Short Stories for Students (Ref PN 3373 .S56) Volume(s):
General Collection Books (may be checked out)
- Burgess, Anthony. Flame into Being: The Life and Work of D. H. Lawrence. (PT 6023 .A93 Z574 1985)
- Hobsbaum, Philip. A Reader's Guide to D. H. Lawrence. (PR 6023 .A93 Z63137)
- Kearney, Martin F. Major Short Stories of D. H. Lawrence: A Handbook. (PR 6023 .A93 Z63667) pp. 173-206.
- Thornton, Weldon. D. H. Lawrence: A Study of the Short Fiction. (PR 6023 .A93 Z298)
- Center for Humanities (Producer) (1990). Literature and psychology characters in crisis. Rocking-Horse winner (2 videocassettes PN56.pg3L58 1990). Available from Circulation Desk
Online Resources (Reference Articles and Databases)
Selected full-text articles (database/-s) in brackets after the citation. There are many others for this short story.
- Literature Criticism Online. Provides the full-texts of essays in Short Story Criticism 19 (1995): 250-291, "The Rocking-Horse Winner by D. H. Lawrence."
- Literature Resource Center
- Literature Online (LION)
Revised and updated by Pam Rigg, Fall, 2008.
Use periodical databases such as Academic Search Premier, MasterFILE Premier, and others for recent journal articles like those posted below.
- Bentley, Greg. “Hester and the homosocial order: an uncanning search for subjectivity in D. H. Lawrence’s 'The Rocking Horse Winner.'" D. H. Lawrence Review 34-35 (Jan 2010) 55. [Literature Resource Center].
- Burroughs, William D. "No Defense for 'The Rocking-Horse Winner.'" College English 24.4 (1963). [JSTOR]
- Davies, Rosemary Reeves. "Lawrence, Lady Cynthia Asquith, and 'The Rocking-Horse Winner.'" Studies in Short Fiction 20.2-3 (1983). 121-126. [Academic Search Premier]
- Davies, Rosemary Reeves. "'The Rocking-Horse Winner' Again: A Correction.'" Studies in Short Fiction 18.3 (1981): 320-322. Full-text available in database: Academic Serach Premier.
- Goldberg, Michael. "Lawrence's 'Rocking-Horse Winner,': A Dickensian Fable." Modern Fiction Studies 15 (1969): 525-536. Microfilm Collection.
- Goodman, Charlotte. "Henry James, D.H. Lawrence, and the Victimized Child." Modern Language Studies 10.1 (1979): 43-51. Online. [JSTOR]
- Koban, Charles. "Allegory and the Death of the Heart in 'The Rocking-Horse Winner.'" Studies in Short Fiction 15 (1978): 391-396. Full-text available in Academic Search Premier.
- Martin, W. R. "Fancy or Imagination? 'The Rocking-Horse Winner.'" College English 24 (1962): 64-65. [JSTOR.]