This guide lists selected sources for library criticism of "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien.
Volume numbers are in bold, page numbers follow.
- Masterplots II Short Story Series, (Ref PN 3326 .M27 2004)
- Short Story Criticism, (Ref PN 3373 .S389) Volume(s):
- 74: 227-339. Essays reproduced in Literature Criticism Online database.
- 79: 150-164
- Short Stories for Students (Ref PN 3373 .S56) Volume(s):
Biographical Information (Reference Collection)
- American Writers, Supplement 5 (Ref PS 129 .A55)
- Dictionary of Literary Biography: American Novelists Since World War II, Fourth Series (Ref PS 21 .D5 vol. 152)
General Collection (may be checked out)
Note: References provide author, title, and call number location only.
- Bloom, Harold. Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.' (PS 3565 .B75 T56 2005)
- Karolides, Nicholas J. Literature Suppressed on Political Grounds. (Z 658 .U5 K37 2006)
- Smith, Patrick A. Tim O'Brien: A Critical Companion. (PS 3565 .B76 Z86 2005)
- Tegmark, Mats. In the Shoes of a Soldier: Communication in Tim O'Brien's Vietnam Narratives. (PS 3565 .B75 Z88 1998)
- Colella, Jill. CliffsNotes O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.' Foster city, CA: Cliffs Notes, 2001. netLibrary.
Online Resources (Reference Articles and Databases
Use periodical databases, such as Academic Search Premier, Academic OneFile, Masterfile Premier, JSTOR, for recent journal articles like those posted below.
Revised and updated by Anthony Sanchez, Fall, 2008.
- Blyn, Robin. "O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.'" Explicator 61,3 (2003): 189-191. [Literature Online]
- Calloway, Catherine. "How To Tell a True War Story: Metafiction in 'The Things They Carried.'" Critique: Studies in Contemporary Fiction 36.4 (1995) : 249-57 [Literature Online]
- Farrell, Susan. "Tim O'Brien and Gender: a Defense of 'The Things They Carried.'"CEA Critic66.1 (2003): 1-21. [Literature Online]
- Haswell, Janie E. "The Craft of the Short Story in Retelling the Vietnam War: Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried." South Carolina Review 37.1 (2004): 94-109. [Literature Online]
- Horner, Carl S."Challenging the Law of Courage and Heroic Identification in Tim O'Brien's 'If I Die in a Combat Zone' and "The Things They Carried.'" War, Literature, and the Arts 11.1 (1999): 256-67. [Literature Online]
- Smiley, Pamela. "The Role of the Ideal (Female) Reader in Tim O'Brien's "The Things They Carried: Why Should Real Women Play?'" Massachusetts Review 43.4 (2002/03: 602-13. [Literature Online] .
- Vernon, Alex. "Salvation, Storytelling, and Pilgrimmage in Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.'"Mosaic 36.4 (2003): 171-88. [Literature Online]
- Wesley, Marilyn. "Truth and Fiction in Tim O'Brien's 'If I Die in a Combat Zone' and 'The Thngs They Carried.'" College Literature 29.2 (2002) 1-18. [Literature Online]