This guide lists selected sources for library criticism of Beloved by Toni Morrison.
- African American Writers (Ref PS 153 .N5 A344 2001) Volume(s):
- Masterplots II: African American Literature series (Ref PS 153 .N5 M2645 1994) Volume(s):
- Novels for Students (Ref PN 3385 .N68) Volume(s):
General Collection Books (may be checked out)
- Andrews, William L. and Nellie Y. McKay, eds. Toni Morrison's 'Beloved': A Casebook. New York: Oxford UP, 1999. (PS 3563 .O8749 B438 1999)
- Bloom, Harold, ed. Toni Morrison's 'Beloved.'. Philadelphia: Chelsea House, 2004. (PS 3563 .O8749 B433 2004)
- Bloom, Harold, ed. Toni Morrison's 'Beloved." Philadelphia: Chelsea house, 1999. (PS 3563 .O8749 B433 1999).
- Conner, Marc C., ed. The Aesthetics of Toni Morrison: Speaking the Unspeakable. Jackson: UP of Mississippi, 2000. (PS 3563 .O8749 Z53 2000)
- Kubitschek, Missy Dehn. Toni Morrison: A Critical Companion. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 1998. (PS 3563 .O8749 Z75 1998)
- Mckay, Nellie Y., comp. Critical Essays on Toni Morrison. Boston: Hall, 1988. (PS 3563 .O8749 Z63 1988)
- Weinstein, Arnold L. Recovering Your Story: Proust, Joyce, Woolf, Faulkner, Morrison. New York: Random House, 2006. (PR 888 .S427 W45 2006)
- Duvall, John N. The Identifying Fictions of Toni Morrison: Modernist authenticity and Postmodern Blackness. New York: Palgrave, 2002. ebrary
- Eckard, Paula Gallant, contributor. Maternal Body and Voice in Toni Morrison, Bobbie Ann Mason and Lee Smith. U of Missouri P, 2002. ebrary
- King, Lovalerie and Lynn Orilla Scott, eds. James Baldwin and Toni Morrison: Comparative Critical and Theoretical Essays. New York: Basingstoke, 2006. ebrary
- Marks, Kathleen. Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' and the Apotropaic Imagination. U of Missouri P, 2002. ebrary
- Robinson, Mary. 'Beloved': Notes. Cliff Notes, 1993. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost).
Online Resources (Reference Articles and Databases)
Use periodical databases, such as Academic Search Premier, MasterFILE Premier, and JSTOR for recent journal articles like those posted below.
- Barnett, Pamela E. "Figurations of Rape and the Supernatural in 'Beloved.'" PMLA 112 (1997): 418-27. JSTOR.
- Berger, James. "Ghosts of Liberalism: Morrison's 'Beloved' and the Moynihan Report." PMLA 111 (1996): 408-20. JSTOR.
- Bouson, J. "Uncovering the Beloved in the Warring and Lawless Women in Toni Morrison's Love." Midwest Quarterly 49 (2008): 358-373. MasterFILE Premier
- Coonradt, N. M. "To be Loved: Amy Denver and Human Need--Bridges to Understanding in Toni Morrison's 'Beloved" College Literature 32 (2005) 168-87. Project Muse
- Byrne, D. "'Yonder they do not love your flesh.' Community in Toni Morrison's "Beloved: The limitations of Citizenship and Property in the American Public Sphere." Canadian Review of American Studies 29.2 (1999): 25. Academic Search Premier
- Daniel, J. "Function or Frill: The Quilt as Storyteller in Toni Morrison's 'Beloved.'" Midwest Quarterly 41 (2000): 321. Academic Search Premier
- Eppert, C. "Histories Re-imagined, Forgotten, and Forgiven: Student Responses to Toni Morrison's 'Beloved.'" Changing English: Studies in Reading & Culture 10 (2003): 185-94. Academic Serach Premier
- Goldstein, P. "Black Feminism and the Canon: Faulkner's 'Absalom, Absalom!' and Morrison's "Beloved' as Gothic Romances." Faulkner Journal 20 (2004): 133-48. Academic Search Premier
- Khawaja, Mabel, Jon-Christian Suggs, and James Berger. "Toni Morrison's 'Beloved.'" Special Topic: The Teaching of Literature. PMLA 112 (1997): 115-118. JSTOR.
- Kreyling, M. "Slave Life; Freed Life - Everyday Was a Test and Trial: Identity and Memory in "Beloved.'" Arizona Quarterly 63 (2007): 109-36.
- Moglen, Helene. "Redeeming History: Toni Morrison's 'Beloved.'" Cultural Critique 24 (Spring, 1993): 17-40. JSTOR.
- Page, Philip. "Circularity in Toni Morrison's 'Beloved.'" African-American Review 26 (Spring, 1992): 31-39. [Women Writer's issue). JSTOR.
- Simpson, Angela. "Morrison's 'Beloved.'" Explicator 56 (1998): 154. Academic Search Premier
- Wyatt, Jean. "Giving Body to the Word: The Maternal Symbolic in Toni Morrison's 'Beloved.'" PMLA 108 (1993): 474-88. JSTOR.
Prepared by Sheila Afnan-Manns, Fall, 2008.
Updated by Allison Ringness, Fall, 2012.